No matter what your homemade crafts are, handmade crafts do sell better than imported similar products. Take your skills or your dream hobby and produce extra income from your work at home adventure. Made in the USA is far from dead, we have become miss guided buying from the nearby, easy to find, foreign imports super store.
It’s a simple matter of supply and demand when it comes to crafts ideas to sell. We want it, but we want it now! The adage from a couple of decades ago was to produce through cottage industries. This idea has evolved into farmers markets, flea markets, craft shows and group yard sales. The idea is sound; you only need a way to supply the demand. If the shopping public does not know of the supply line, notify them!
There are many outlets to market your goods online like eBay, Etsy and your personal website or blog. If you are examining a writing or design type of work at home career, check out Elance as a way to bid on jobs. Do a Google search and you will find many opportunities to advertise and get paid for the goods you make and sell.
The best quote I’ve read on homemade and handmade crafts was from a talented craft and illustrations artist named Kristina Sabaite;
A handmade object is a thing with a soul.” — Kristina Sabaite
Almost any wooden item has appeal in a home, business or the backyard. Wood is a forgiving craft material and the cost can go from free to several dollars per piece for the needed supplies. The cost of tools to work with wood is flexible also. You can produce quality objects with minimal hand tools or add custom power tools as needed. Here is a link to Wood Craft Profits. This will give you some ideas to start out with.
Wood products also lend their way into other craft items that can be combined into works of art. A simple shadow box frame with an inserted Tole painting or Needlecraft artwork can be appealing. Scrap wood or old barn boards can be found for no upfront cost and used to produce works of art. The ideas for crafts for a woodworker’s prize handiwork are only limited by their imagination.
Yard art and crafts ideas large and small are always in demand to help people spruce up their yards. The products can be small or large and still have the same pleasing effect when adding creativity to a yard or garden area. Here is a link to a great group of plans for wood crafts. Woodworking Plans
Home accessories and decorations do not have to compare to the expensive store-bought items. Many items can be assembled from what some might consider junk or throw away items into original art.
• Indoor – Outdoor Furnishings and Accessories, Deck Chairs, Picnic Tables
• Wooden Toys, Doll Houses, Building Blocks, Rockers, Pull Toys
• Wood Carvings, Decorative Trim, Name and Address Signs, Wood Lettering
• Knickknacks, Picture Frames, Shadowboxes, Curio Shelves and Cabinets, Coasters
• Cabinets and Chest, Hope – Jewelry Chest, Spice Racks, Bowls and Cooking Utensils, Small Boxes
• Yard Art, Planter Pots and Boxes, Windmills, Birdhouses, Wind chimes, Wishing Wells
Sewing – Crochet – Knitting Crafts:
Stitching things together is one of the oldest craft’s ever started. If your interested in how much money you can make knitting, check out this site: Knitting for Profit
• Needlecraft, Doilies, Embroidering, Cloth Dolls, Landscape and Flower Art
• Quilts, Comforters, Bedspreads, Rugs, Large Wall Art
• Clothing, Shawls, Sweaters, Vest, Jackets, Socks, Footsie’s
• Hats, Stocking Caps, Berets, Earmuffs, Nepal Sherpa Hats
• Scarf’s, Wraps, Ponchos, Baby Clothes
Artistic – Painting Crafts:
The place’s you can sell paintings or painted homemade crafts is endless. Homes, businesses, decorators are all on the lookout for new items to display.
• Folk Art, Papier-mâché, Tin Paintings, Ornaments
• Tole Painting, Murals, Bowls, Plates, Pots for Plants, Wooden Cutouts, Tin, Ceramic Tile
• Collage Art, Rock Art, Wood Scraps, Ribbons and Cloth, Dried Flowers, News Clippings
• Decoupage, Photo-montage, Mosaic Tile, Stained Glass
• Stenciling, Signs, Wall Stenciling, Wall Murals, Furniture Art
• Glass Painting, Wineglasses, Mirrors, Candle-holders, Artificial Stained Glass
A gentle light with aromatic scents, what’s not to like about candles? When it comes to ideas for homemade crafts, candles are one item that has expanded. The different materials used to make them have added to their popularity.
• Scented – Offers aromatherapy and stress relief
• Beeswax – Burns longer and cleaner while releasing negative ions.
• Soy/ Vegan – Nonpetroleum based and soot free while lasting longer.
• Tea Lights – Multiple uses, easy to store and use.
• Votive – Low cost and used for various special occasions.
• Artistic Pillars – harder wax, best for decorative purposes.
• Floral – Works of art and a popular home decoration.
• Jar Candles – Easy to control and keep, comes in several sizes.
Jewelry – Beads – Metal Crafts:
The craft of jewelry making offers many different avenues for sales. With careful selection of materials, can be a low cost art to make. Design choices are only limited to your imagination. Several ways to mix and match products for sale.
• Charms – for all occasions and special events.
• Earrings – unlimited designs and color accessories.
• Necklaces – multiple uses and applications.
• Bracelets – to coordinate with all the above.
• Brooches – elegant fashion design accessories.
• Resin and glass – unlimited design choices.
• Lost Wax Method – custom designs with a higher learning curve.
• Gemstones – Higher cost for special products.
Design – Illustrations:
There are several job offerings from small business owners and writers who need help with their ideas. Many businesses will contract out the needed designing needed to advertise a product or service. Many writers are excellent at creating story lines but have no talent when it comes to illustrations to make the story come alive.
• Storybook Illustrations
• Business Cards and Company Logo’s
• Fliers and Printed Advertisements
• eBooks and Book Covers
• Website Designs and Illustrations
Pottery – Ceramics Crafts:
This is an ancient craft that still has great appeal today. Depending on where you live, the materials needed might be right under your feet. If you cannot afford a kiln to bake your work, you might be able to find one to use locally. Different kinds or resins and epoxies can be used for certain craft items. Find the proper type for the project you are working on.
• Vases, Pots
• Cups, Plates
• Hot Plates
• Wall Art
• Curio Containers
Holiday – Seasonal Homemade Crafts:
Everyone is on the hunt for fresh original homemade crafts ideas during any holiday. Many items can be related to the holiday it’s self-or to the seasons of the year. Always plan for the annual special occasions and be ready to sell that special gift when someone asks. While this craft would rely on certain times of the year, shoppers do buy ahead and after the special day looking for bargains.
• Valentine’s Day
I offer some useful craft links below. These are not affiliate links and only offered to further help individuals create ideas for homemade crafts and information on how to sell crafts. There are thousands of possibility’s covering how to make crafts to sell. Keep looking until you find one you like and would enjoy doing for your work from home business.
A good place to offer your crafts to sell online is Etsy. It is also a great site to find ideas for items to make in the futures. You can get a good idea for the prices homemade items can bring. You will find many other sellers who can help you with their experiences in sales and craft techniques. Here is the Etsy site:
A low cost book on Amazon has several good reviews for the home based craft person. It’s called; The Handmade Marketplace: How to Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, and On-Line. Check it out HERE: